THE BEST BICYCLE ROUTE IN UGANDA
A BICYCLE ADVENTURE & SAFARI IN 8 DAYS
DAY 1 WELCOME TO UGANDA
The on-site team will be waiting for you at the airport in Entebbe. After a short transfer (20 minutes) we arrive at our lodge and we sound at the start of our adventure.
DAY 2 KYANINGA CRATER LAKE - TRANSFER ENTEBBE – FORT PORTAL (6h30)
- WALK 1-2 hours
Get up early because the minibus takes us to Fort Portal today.
We set our sights on the first cycling region with a lodge on the edge of an impressive crater lake. Once arrived (early afternoon) we settle in the lodge and go on a hike around crater lake for some magnificent views.
DAY 3 THE RIFT VALLEY
- CYCLING APPE
- AGRO TOUR
- DINNER IN COMMUNITY
Today an agricultural tour and the first bicycle tour are on the program. Between the crater lakes we cycle to the view of the rift valley and Congo. We end our day with an agro-tour where a Ugandan farmer gives us a tour of his farm. We learn more about biogas, different banana varieties and taste sugar cane, among other things.
After this instructive intermezzo, we dine in a 'community' just down the road where local women conjure up Ugandan cuisine.
Non cyclists can also hike to the rift valley, go on a birding tour, visit Fort Portal town…
DAY 4 THE CRATERS AROUND KIBALE
- CYCLING APPE
We cycle in a line stage from Fort Portal to the edge of the Kibale rainforest. No fewer than 13 different primate species live in this forest, including the noisy chimpanzees. We cycle past remote villages where hardly any tourists come and where the school children follow us.
If you want, you can cycle to the new lodge ... a more luxurious lodge with a beautiful view of the rainforest.
Numerous activities for non-cyclists like Fort Portal town, bodaboda tour (see day off), community experience, …
DAY 5 FREE DAY AROUND KIBALE
Nothing is necessary, everything is allowed. Today we have a choice between different activities.
- Chimpanzee tracking (200$) in the Kibale rainforest, unique experience!
- A bodaboda tour to surrounding crater lakes including vanilla experience, coffee experience ... (30$)
- A nature walk and splash in a crater lake with numerous primates (10$)
Or we can just sleep in and go on a little cycling adventure!
DAY 6 TO MBURO
- TRANSFER (4H) TO LAKE MBURO
- BIKE RIDE LAKE MBURO (32KM, 300HM)
We exchange the Chimpanzees for a lot of other animals around Lake Mburo.
The next two days we will be in the savannah with the mountain bikes.
After the transfer in the morning, we jump on our bicycles and make our way between the zebras to a deserted rock.
We climb to the top and enjoy a wonderful view.
DAY 7 MTB SAFARI MBURO
- CYCLING APPE
- CAR SAFARIA
We conclude with a highlight on the bike ... a bike safari through the park of Lake Mburo. The relatively small park of Lake Mburo is teeming with animals ... zebra, antelope, eland, aardvark, buffalo, hippo and even giraffe.
In the afternoon time for relaxation or a car safari in the park!
DAY 8 TO ENTEBBE
- TRANSFER TO ENTEBBE - FREE AFTERNOON (SOUVENIR SHOPPING) - FLIGHT 11:55 PM.
We drive by car from Mburo to Entebbe (4.30 hours) and stop at the equator for some pictures and finally end up back in the ViaVia. During the afternoon we can go souvenir shopping in Entebbe (there are also beautiful art galleries there).
After packing the bicycles, we finally conclude with dinner in the ViaVia.
|(9 days/8 nights – e.g. Saturday to Sunday)||Price per person|
|2 persons||USD 2120|
|3 persons||USD 1940|
|4 persons||USD 1780|
- All overnight stays in lodges (3x mid-range / 4x higher range)
- Meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner (1x main course, sometimes 3-course – depending on lodge)
- Trail food + drinks during the bike rides
- Guidance by European tour leader and team of Ugandan guides
- Admission + activities in safari parks: bike safari
- Extra activity: agrotour in Fort Portal
- All transport on site; minibuses, ferries, luggage transport, …
- Technical assistance during the rides
- Flight ticket to Uganda (more expensive during holiday periods)
- Bike rental (USD 230)
- Drinks with meals - and especially extra drinks at the bar
- Own insurance, passport and visa, vaccinations (yellow fever mandatory) and malaria pills, PCR tests
- Local tips and clothes washing
- Extra activities (see day off)
WHAT DO YOU NEED?
Bicycle + suitcase + helmet + camel bag
- Bike rental possible on site.
- We leave the suitcase safely on arrival.
- Cardboard box also possible.
- Flight tickets to Entebbe (H/T)
- AllRideAfrika provides guidance with booking.
- International passport
- Valid for 6 months after arrival.
- Visa for Uganda
- Online or on arrival.
- AllRideAfrika provides guidance for application.
- Yellow fever + Hepatitis A + Anti-malaria.
- Via tropical institute and on doctor's advice.
- PCR TESTING
- Travel insurance medical assistance
- Insurance that also covers mountain biking
Marc: "An ultimate adventurous cycling holiday. An unforgettable trip !!! Highly recommended for MTBers."